Sunday, May 17, 2009

A flash from the past


The little town down the hill from us (pop. approx. 1200) has a family restaurant/Greek food/pizza joint. That's where the group of us had our supper tonight, as Sunday's when the kitchen staff gets to take the night off.

It felt something like stepping back into the 1950s.

I ordered 'grilled' fish, but breaded/fried is how it arrived. Still, it tasted fine and even came with a chunk of lemon. The choices of side dishes were easy enough for me: green salad or coleslaw (I ordered greens, though as it turned out the slaw looked better). Mashed potatoes, fries or onion rings. Well, how often do I get a chance to eat onion rings!? A complete no-brainer in the decision department.

In keeping with the tone of the place, a strawberry milkshake (which I split with my friend, Susan) seemed positively neat-o.

PS The dinner even included dessert: little cubes of red Jell-O or a serving of chocolate pudding. And served in those small glass dishes I still associate with kid-sized chocolate sundaes. Really, Andy Griffith would've been comfy joining us.

No comments:

Post a Comment