Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A wild mix

Tonight's supper is a mix -- and I mean that both literally and figuratively.

The base is a pasta mix that's been languishing with the camping stuff -- a packet of something called 'spaghetti Alfredo' -- a fast cooking version of the more traditional linguini and cream sauce dish.

But the supper's also a mix in the contrasts presented by what we poured over top of that convenience food pasta. There was nothing mixish about it.

I had some boneless pork I'd been saving for a stir-fry. Instead, I used it as the base for a mini-stew. With an onion, some garlic and two lonesome carrots, it rocked up to be something presentable -- especially with its slow-cooked centrepiece, a large cauliflower mushroom.

One of those little voices in my head convinced me to add add a bit of barbecue sauce to the stew. And yes, that was exactly the right touch.

Slightly wilted beet greens steamed up nice enough to serve as a nutritious side. A very cozy supper on a day that feels like the one that could indeed be the big change from warm days to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment