Saturday, September 19, 2009

Linguinus Serendipitus


Okay, so my Latin is almost on the level of Pig-Latin. Still, the taste of tonight's pasta was truly one of those fortunate accidents we call serendipitous.

I was assembling a bowl of last night's leftover salmon, trying to ensure there weren't any bones in it (I failed, of course). At the same time, the pasta was cooking and I'd put a pan of olive oil on the stove with some sliced up garlic -- all in the name of slightly softening the garlic.

But next thing I knew, the garlic bits were crispy golden. Oh well, sez I, you're not starting over.

It turned out that the almost-burnt bits imparted a wonderfully smoky flavour to the oil and made what would have been a very ordinary Saturday night pasta into something memorable.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment