Thursday, June 18, 2009

Living off the lot

The city lot, that is. You've probably heard of the 100 Mile Diet. This summer we're aiming for something more ambitious. Our goal? At least a few meals that qualify for the 100 Foot Diet.

We're starting tonight, in a very small way. I'm adding wild lettuce that grows in the yard to the salad and to the pesto. Besides the wild greens, the pesto contains basil and oregano and parsley from the kitchen garden and some coral mushrooms picked last fall.

I know I'm not going to be growing olives to make oil. And not growing wheat to make the pasta. Still, I like being aware of what we're eating and where it comes from.

As for the chicken livers cooking on the barbie, I may well not want to know where those used to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment